Dr. Radu-Mihai Triculescu
Radu-Mihai Triculescu is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Chair of Political Systems and European Integration at LMU Munich, working on the ERC Advanced Grant SYNCPOL - Synchronized Politics: Multiple Times and Political Power. He studied International Affairs and Political Science at Florida State University, and earned an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master in International Migration and Social Cohesion from the University of Amsterdam, Deusto University, and University of Osnabruck.
In 2021, Radu earned his PhD at the University of Twente in the Netherlands, where he researched the multi-level implementation of asylum policies in the European Union. Through his work, he analyzed how bureaucracies and administrative agencies in EU Member States interpret and implement the rules and norms of the Common European Asylum System.
Radu-Mihai Triculescu’s research attempts to understand how national differences impact policy harmonization across different jurisdictions. Aside from academia, he has also spent time working as an Associate Policy Analyst at the Migration Policy Institute – Europe, where he worked on projects relating to return and reintegration, asylum, and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on migrant inclusion.
Dissertation Title: “Harmonised Asylum Policies in the European Union? The role of street-level bureaucrats in the implementation of the Common European Asylum System.”
• Triculescu, R-M. (2022). ‘Dublin is dead’: A study in delegitimation. In: Bursens, P., De Bievre, D., Lord, C., Trondal, J., and Wessel, R. (eds). The Politics of Legitimation in the European Union. Legitimacy Recovered? Routledge.
• Olivares-Méndez, M. & Triculescu, R-M. (2020). Human rights and unreliable institutions in a globalised world: The case of irregular migrants in Mexico. In J. Le Clercq & J. Abreu Sacramento (eds), Rebuilding the State Institutions: Challenges for Democratic Rule of Law in Mexico. Springer.
Policy Papers and Blog Posts
• Triculescu, R-M (forthcoming 2022). Harmonised Asylum Policies in the European Union? The role of street-level bureaucrats in the implementation of the Common European Asylum System. PLATO Report Series.
• Salgado, L., Triculescu, R-M., Le Coz, C., Beirens, H. (2022) Putting Migrant Reintegration Programs to the Test: A Road Map to a Monitoring System. Report. Migration Policy Institute
• Triculescu, R-M. (July 27, 2020). Why EU institutions alone cannot reform the Common European Asylum System. Post-Crisis Democracy in Europe Blog.
• Triculescu, R-M & Olivares-Méndez, M. (October 14, 2019). Los Acuerdos de Tercer País Seguro. Animal Politico.
• Triculescu, R-M. (March 25, 2019). The EU’s Second Chance to Fix Asylum Policy: How Third-country Agreements Create the Opportunity for Change. Charged Affairs.
• Triculescu, R-M. (August 6, 2018). Harmonization of Asylum Policies in Europe: Saving Lives by Fixing a Deficient System. Charged Affairs.
• Triculescu, R-M. (February 12, 2018). Legal Migration in an Anxious Europe. Charged Affairs.
• Triculescu, R-M. (December 18, 2017). The Romanian Diaspora as an Unlikely Opposition. Charged Affairs.
• Triculescu, R-M. (November 27, 2017). Europe Needs to Differentiate Asylum Policy from Migration Policy. Charged Affairs.